22 years ago, this April 6th 2016, the attack in Kigali killed the Presidents of Rwanda and Burundi, their assistants and crew members of the Falcon 50 landing from Dar - es -Salaam. Twenty-two years ago and onwards, the International Community refuses to answer the questions to know who decided, organized and carried out that terrorist act which is considered, since then, as the starting point of genocide. The ICTR didn't indict anybody for that crime, regardless of the fact that it was part of its tasks.
The ICTR wasn't capable of instating evidence of genocide planning by different HUTU defendants nor did it, prior to that, bring up proof the attack was committed by Hutu extremists.
However, in order to perpetrate such a crime, it requires a strong technical know-how, a precisely planned logistics and supply of hypersophisticaed technology.
Therefore, since it hasn't yet been proved that the HUTU had that know-how, and the capacity to plan and the technology to commit the attack, why not look for other possibilities? We have to recall some facts which ought to justify a reflection on the opportunity of reopening enquiries on the events.
1 . Since the Arusha Peace Agreement, signed on August 4th, 1993, several observers doubted on the fact it could be implemented until the planned elections. As a matter of fact, these elections would have given results accordingly with an ethnical vote which utterly favoured the Hutus and let the RPF with a so tiny part of power. The CIA gave an approximate figure of 50,000 victims in case of hostilities resumption. Why could the CIA have to envisage such previsions? The war rebursting what the attack provoked and the genocide allowed the RPF to take unshared power, 22 years ago from now.
2 . The facilitators from the International Community who participated in the negociations of the Peace Truce before August 1993 had, among them Robert Flaten, the US ambassador in Rwanda. That one asked his government to envisage acquisition of satellite data which would have allowed analyzing the scale and scope in which the two parties were to respect the clauses of the Agreement (among others, the supplier's role and harbouring the RPF that Uganda played since October 1990). Ambassador Flaten was astonished, duly, because of the refusal from the Clinton « Administration ». Among the American facilitators was also a certain Mr. Robert RAWSON who happened to be a CIA agent and who in January 1994 became the Ambassador of the USA in Rwanda following Mr. Robert FLATEN (for unundestandable « reasons , it seems that David Rawson has become Persona non grata in Rwanda since 2010, or so). The negotiations documents were never subject to any objective studies, which means a thorough in depth scrutiny on what occurred on April 7th 1994.
3. In October 1993, two months after the signature of the Arusha Peace Accord, the first Hutu president of Burundi is assassinated. Ndadaye had been elected in July 1993, in the first democratic elections held in Burundi since independence.
The presence of Kagame ( on a « private basis ») in Bujumbura some time before the assassination of Ndadaye rises some interrogations since we know that Ndadaye was opposed to Burundian interference in Rwanda affairs. He refused favouring one or the other party in the conflict (and so doing, he opposed the leanings among the Burundian Army 90% composed of Tutsis). The assassination of Ndadaye was never sorted out ( We have to remind people the assassination of his successor, five months later, on April 6th 1994 in Kigali in the attack on the Rwandan Falcon 50, provoked the chaos of a civil war of more than ten years!)
4. On Friday, January 6th 1994 a mysterious « covert » meeting was held, around 6:30 p.m., at the residence of the Ambassador of Belgium in Kigali. There were certainly Paul Kagame and the one who, on the following day, was to present nomination letters to the President of the Republic of Rwanda as USA Ambassador, a certain David RAWSON whose concern was dealt with above. It is possible that Ambassador Johan SWINNEN didn't participate in the meeting itself but he availed his residence in a so cautious way for the meeting ( a private one) which couldn't include, unless unofficially, held with a Mr. David RAWSON who wasn't yet an acting US Ambassador. The questions with that meeting makes spring have never been asked in diverse enquiry commissions.
5. In the beginning of January 1994, new Belgian UNAMIR officers arrive in Kigali, and among them a former member of the CTM (The Belgian Military Cooperation) what was astonishing for those who knew him. It seemed mistaken that a former military voluntary service man, be retaken into the UNAMIR shortly after the end of his service contract within CTM. It was also at that time when uniforms of Belgian officers of the UNAMIR (who lived at L'Hôtel Méridien – IZUBA) were « robbed ». Those aspects of things have never attracted the attention of the « observers ».
6.Three weeks before his death, Jean-Pierre Ninaberry (the Falcon 50 co-pilot) gave confidencial information to his acquaintances: « Since the UN has decided that Kagame is the President of Rwanda, we no longer take off or land without his agreement». The landing run-way had been under the UNAMIR's order, forbidden from access « from the town ». The other access corner passed above Masaka and the Kanombe military barrack. Why that « Interdiction » and why those « obligations » ?
7. President Clinton had taken a resolution putting an end to the American presence in Somalia.The last soldiers having to be withdrawn on March 31st, 1994. On March 13th, 18 days before the completion of that withdrawal and 24 days before the attack in Kigali, John Shalikasvili, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, went to Mogadiscio and, on the Peleliu, a ship for terra marique amphybian troops disembarking operations, which was harboured in the Somalian waters, (… we are going to ask you to stick around for a while, I'm not sure for exactly how long!).
8. On March 5th, Charles Vukovic, US military attaché in post in Cameroon arrives in Kigali, while Roger Winter of the CIA arrives in Mulindi (Kagame's HQ. It's not a « camp » in the « Jungle » or the « bush » as many a man described it but it was a wide property of 4 villas totally as comfortable as could be a Europeans’s one, in premises of a factory.
9. On April 6th, the Mortier Platoon led by Lieutenant LOTIN (one of the 10 Belgian Blue Helmets murdered on April 7th ) of the UNAMIR goes out around 7:30 A.M. For a mysterious mission in the Akagera (National) Park up to the boundary with Uganda. Nobody knows about that mission neither in the UNAMIR nor the Belgian Armed Forces. The Belgian Senate's Enquiry missions will talk about « tourist missions» (Quoted). The presidential plane was shot down around 8:30 P.M. and the contact with Lieutenant LOTIN could just be re-established back only after 2:30 A.M. On April 7th (???!!!)
He was relocalized « filling in fuel » in the vehicles of the Mortier Platoon in Kanombe, while the encampment of the Mortier Platoon was « Vicking » (a private property) and not « Top Gun » or « Viper » (at the airport). That did not bother anybody, either!
10. At the time the attack took place, a Belgian C-130 was « preparing to land » at the Kigali airport. That C-130 was one of the only Belgian C130s to be equipped with electronic counter-measures for anti-missile defence. No enquiry has been carried out to find out the exact role of that plane, nor search for the circumstances of its operation in readiness to land, nor anything about its re-routing, nor any observations were made which would have been given by its crew members on the presence of other planes in the surrounding neighbourhood of Kigali at the time of the attack. Another C-130 was on « stand-by » at the airport. For what reason? The crew members of that C130 stayed at Hôtel des Mille Collines in downtown Kigali at 6 km of the airport !!!!!
11. Just before the missiles were shot, Minaberry communicated with his wife with a « Motorola », that the approach lights of the airport run-way have been cut off. The electronic anti-missile counter-measures can be interfered in by embarked electronic systems of counter-counter-measures on some C-130 planes called Commando Bravo or Commando Solo utilizing jamming methods which provoke interferences and power cuts in the electrical systems and the telecommunications around the site where the measures are being set up. Such C-130s were in Somalia until the American withdrawal then... Mombasa, and Bujumbura (?)
12. The Head of Intelligence of the Burundian President declared to Colette Braeckman :
« ...When we arrived at the Bujumbura airport on April 6th in the evening (aboard the President of Burundi's Beechchcraft, some time after the attack) we met there the American military who had arrived there since some days already (without any prior information to the President). We didn't know what they had come to do there. They only left some weeks later. »
13. On April 7th , at 8:00 a.m.. RFI announces « the death of Three Belgian Blue Helmets in Kigali in an ambush on the raod to the airport » Was it a mistaken information or an intoxication ? It happens that there wouldn't be any trace of the recorded broadcast in INA (French National Institute of Audiovisual DATA Records/ Archives).
14. The American troops of the Peleliu, on the sea shores of Mogadisco port, started moving since the attack was announced, as part of the NEO (Non-Armed Evacuation Operation) baring the name « Distant Runner ». The decision was taken by David RAWSON to evacuate the American citizens from Kigali via Bujumbura (275 km of which 200 km in the hands of the FAR) and not via Kigali (the airport was still accessible and under the UNAMIR protection, as it was proposed to him) or via Entebbe (500 km in a countryside in the hands of the RPF).
15. Operation « Distant Runner » comprised the run by the USS Peleliu from the distance between Mogadiscio and Mombasa, an aeroplane shift and chopper covered operation up to Bujumbura by a C130, a KC-130, a C-141, a CH-53s (4th Airlift Squadron and McChord AFB for the evacuees' transportation from Bujumbura to Nairobi).
16. On April 11th, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Warren Christopher and his wife go to the Washington Center for Coordination of Crises to congratulate the staff which « followed-up» the evacuation of Kigali. It's the second time in the History of that Crisis Center that a President comes for follow-up of a NEO and certainly the First Time the « First Lady » accompanies the President, his Secretary of State and the wife of the latter.
17. On April 12th, Bill CLINTON signs the « War Powers Resolution » authorizing deployment of American troops in Burundi as a part of duty in the operation of evacuating American citizens from Kigali, while that (so-called) evacuation had already been done and was over.
18. In her book « A Problem from Hell », Samantha Power writes that « in the very first days genocide a roughly estimated dozen of US special forces were sent to Kigali (in Rwanda, not in Burundi) for a reconnaissance mission of one day... after the debriefing a report was sent to the European Command Headquarters in Stuttgart, Germany. What was the real agenda of the mission: in extremis rescue in a hostile field of those who had shot the plane, or their corpses, eliminating witnesses... ?
All those questions stayed with no answers as were a hundred more others during the last 22 years. With a cross-examination of all those hypotheses, people reach a blatantly appalling convergence that the truth won't certainly be that quickly said , notably not before Hillary Clinton ends her two probable presidential terms... which means on the thirtieth anniversary of the Kigali attack, except evidently in case of a successful impeachment procedure, in the optimum...
In 2016, Ange Kagame (Paul's daughter) gets 22 and starts her job in the Public Relations of Rwanda's Presidency, the Gotha ! … No more need of « Putin-Medvedev-Putin » strategy, « Bush, Sr, son and brother », « Fidel-Raoul », « billans Hillary »... With, or without a modified Constitution, she will go far, « that young girl » !
by Bertrand LOUBARD, Agoravox. Fr
Wednesday, 6th April, 2016 (Translation of the French original text by twagiramungu.com)